Last Updated on April 21, 2022
Gardening is one of the world’s most popular pastimes, but it’s also a hobby that comes with a lot of unknowns.
As we’re unable to control things like insects and other pests and have no say on current and future weather conditions, you’re at the mercy of these elements as to how well your garden does.
A grow tent setup is one way to counteract these things, and give you a small, efficient place to grow your favorite plants.
Choosing the best grow tent set up can be daunting though, especially if you’ve never tried this type of indoor gardening before, and with so many choices to start with, it’s easy to be put off.
What are the best grow tent setups to choose from?
First, you’ll have to establish the size of your indoor grow space, and then decide on the materials and other features you want.
A grow tent should have sufficient room for what you want to grow, the right lighting, and be made of materials that are going to facilitate the best conditions.
There’s a lot to learn when shopping for this type of indoor gardening setup, so we’ve made a handy grow tent setup guide that shows you the best of the best.
With our help, you’ll be equipped with the materials needed to get started, and you can have fun exploring this unique indoor garden.
Table of Contents
- Best Grow Tent Setup – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
- Our Recommendations for the Best Grow Tent Setups
- Winner: BloomGrow Grow Tent
- Runner Up: TopoGrow Grow Tent
- Alternative: VivoSun Multi Chamber Grow Tent
- Alternative: VivoSun Complete Grow Tent Kit
- Alternative: Bloom Grow Complete Kit
- FAQs of Grow Tent Setups
Best Grow Tent Setup – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
Our Recommendations for the Best Grow Tent Setups
A grow tent setup is designed to be housed in a small, indoor space, but they can look very different depending on what the gardener is after.
To narrow down your search, we’ve hand-picked some of our favorites to deliver you a list of the best grow tent complete setup options so you only have the favorites to choose from.
Winner: BloomGrow Grow Tent
- Size: 32 x 32 x 63 inches
- Type:Grow tent kit
- Materials: Diamond mylar
Our favorite pick for the best grow tent setup comes from Bloom Grow, offering a cost effective and easy way to grow indoors.
This grow tent setup with carbon filter is made with a 600D diamond mylar material and includes afour-inch fan, rope hangers, hygrometer, shears, and LED light, just to name a few.
The measurements are 32 x 32 x 63 inches and it’s covered up with zippered access for your convenience.
- Assembly was easy compared to other grow tents and is especially helpful for beginners who’ve never done this type of indoor gardening before. You’ll get everything you need for a complete setup down to the rope hangers and shears to trim the plants with, so you won’t want for another thing.
- The diamond mylar material used in this tent makes it a standout and has plenty of benefits for growing. Because it’s reflective it stops the light leaking out and also keeps a lot of the smells trapped inside; both being major bonuses for any indoor gardener.
- You’ll get an included filtration and ventilation kit with the BloomGrow Grow Tent. This includes a coal-based activated carbon filter that is made of eco-friendly materials and far more efficient than most synthetic filters out there. According to reviews, this was one of the best features of the entire setup.
- The zippers were a major letdown in this tent and it means that when you’re trying to come in and out of it, you’ll have to be careful. They’re prone to snagging and it’s not ideal for quick entry, so you’ve been warned about their sensitivity.
- Some of the parts weren’t as high quality as others, with the extras thrown in like the shears probably not being needed. You don’t need to use these to get the best parts of the grow tent though, so you can swap them out for better quality accessories if you need to.
The BloomGrow Grow Tent comes in a range of sizes to suit your gardening needs, with the 32 x 32 x 63-inch tent being a best seller at around $370 at Amazon.
For this price, you’ll also get it shipped for free and the offer of 30 day free returns should you not love your purchase.
Unfortunately, there’s no mention of a warranty from BloomGrow, so you’ll have to take the other customer’s word for it.
With all of the included parts giving you everything you need for a professional setup, there’s so much to love about the BloomGrow Grow Tent, and with great results guaranteed.
Runner Up: TopoGrow Grow Tent
- Size: 32 x 32 x 62 inches
- Type:Grow tent kit
- Materials: Oxford cloth
If you’ve been thinking about investing in grow tent for indoor gardening but don’t have a lot of cash to spend, the TopoGrow Tent is a great option.
This tent comes with everything required to grow indoors like a 300W LED light, 600D oxford cloth tent, and four-inch ventilation kit with a fan filter.
The overall dimensions are 32 x 32 x 63 making it one of the best 4×4 grow tent setup options in this price range.
- The best feature of this grow tent is the light that comes with it. The 300W LED light is a full spectrum lamp which means it can help grow plants in any growth cycle, and most efficiently replicates natural sunlight.
- Setting up your tent from TopoGrow is easy to do and doesn’t require any special skills or tools. They provide you with everything you need, so all you have to do is add your plants or trays and then set up the lights.
- Although a cheaper and thinner material, the tent seems to do a good job of keeping smells inside. This is also in part to the fan that’s at work dispersing it, but if you’re worried about your indoor setup being too obvious on the nose, you don’t have to be with this one.
- The fan is very loud and it’s been annoying enough for some users to replace it with another just to save themselves the hassle. If you’re hoping for a peaceful grow tent that you can live side by side with, you’ll probably want to do the same.
- As a cheaper option, it’s not surprising to find that some of the extras weren’t as high quality in the TopoGrow Tent, so this isn’t a good choice for people looking for a commercial setup. However, for beginners and those with basic indoor gardening needs, it’ll be more than enough.
To get your hands on the affordable TopoGrow Tent, head to Amazon for a discounted price of around $310 for the 32 x 32 x 63-inch tent.
They have larger and smaller grow tent options listed as well, with prices ranging from $280 to $1000 depending on the size you want.
TopoGrow doesn’t seem to offer a warranty for this tent setup and there are no free returns from Amazon, which appears to be standard with these types of kits.
However, if you’re after a simple and budget-friendly way to test grow tents at home, this represents one of the cheapest and efficient on the market.
Alternative: VivoSun Multi Chamber Grow Tent
- Size: 48 x 36 x 72 inches
- Type: Multi chamber tent
- Materials: Canvas, mylar
If you want to save on space with a tent but still have the option to grow a few different plants, the VivoSun Multi Chamber Grow Tent is a great choice.
This tent is made of quality 600D canvas and measures 48x36x72 inches which allows you to work vertically rather than horizontally
The multi chamber grow tent features a mono layer for larger plants and a compound area for small and potted plants, and the entire thing is coated with mylar on the inside to boost the efficiency of the lighting setup.
- This is a cheap alternative to some of the bigger brands out there but still gets the job done. Customers loved how it didn’t skimp on quality even though it’s a budget friendly option and the extra thick canvas was built to last, and it showed.
- Rather than a standalone tent that requires you to create areas for growing different things, the VivoSun Grow Tent is a multi chamber device and has a two-tier small tent and larger tent area inside. You can adjust each area as needed for the best growing conditions.
- The mylar coating inside of the tent is good for minimizing the amount of LED lights you have to use. As it reflects it around the tent, you’ll get faster results than with other tents, provided you can get the balance right.
- The main issue people have with this tent is that the light still seems to penetrate through it more easily than other thicker fabrics, even if it does have a helpful mylar coating inside. This won’t be an issue if your tent is set up in a dark room already but for those using a grow tent specifically to control the light, you’ll want to look elsewhere.
- Unlike other products we’ve reviewed, the VivoSun Grow Tent is only a tent, so you won’t get any of the other items like fans, ventilation systems, and lights. This makes a good starting point to build your own custom setup, but some customers thought they would be getting a ready-made kit.
VivoSun makes a range of grow tent setups, and the 48x36x72 size is available for the best price on Amazon for around $170, with free shipping included.
There are two other size options of 60 x 48 x 80 inches for roughly $180 and a much taller 108 x 48 x 80 at around $300.
If you’d much rather build your own custom grow tent setup, the VivoSun Multi Chamber Tent makes a good starting point and lets you add the lighting, fans, and ventilation systems that you choose.
This tent works vertically to save you space and gives you lots of options for planting a variety of species, and it’s one of our top finds.
Alternative: VivoSun Complete Grow Tent Kit
- Size: 24 x 24 x 48 inches
- Type: Kit
- Materials: Canvas, mylar
A grow tent isn’t a grow tent without the extras and if you’re after a complete kit that you can set up straight out of the box, the VivoSun Grown Tent Kit is it.
This kit comes with a 24 x 24 x 48-inch tent, 4-inch carbon filter, 8 ft of a ducting combo, 300W LED light, in-line fan, and more.
All of the parts are designed to work together and there’s no need to purchase anything else, so you can get set up and growing in just a day.
- The lighting setup included in this was one of its best features, according to customers. With a full spectrum 300W LED, it’s easily the best LED setup for 4×4 grow tent in this price range, and makes the price more than worth it.
- You’ll get lots of extras with this grow tent from VivoSun, including ones that you won’t find elsewhere. Within this kit is also trellis netting, grow room sunglass, and a seven-day timer, just to name a few, so it’s packed full of bonuses.
- Customers loved the carbon filter and inline fan included with this tent. The carbon filters and fan deliver 100% filtered air which is good for your plants, and keeps smells to a minimum outside of the tent.
- There are minimal instructions included with this grow tent, so be prepared to do some research of your own when setting it up. Considering how many parts come with it, VivoSun should be providing customers with a guide on how to put it all together, which is a major letdown.
- The light appears to get through the canvas material easier than it does with other grow tents. You’ll need to position the tent somewhere completely dark to get the best results, otherwise, these external factors could affect your light and dark cycles.
VIvoSun is known for being one of the most cost-effective manufacturers of grow tents, and they’ve achieved this again with their Indoor Grow Tent Kit.
The kit comes with everything you need and is priced at around $420 on Amazon, with free shipping offered by the online marketplace.
If you’d rather have your grow tent ready-made and don’t want to source individual parts, the VivoSun is an easy way to do it.
Although a cheaper option it’s a good fit for small time and first time growers, so if you fit this category you can get yourself a great deal.
Alternative: Bloom Grow Complete Kit
- Size: 24 x 24 x 48 inches
- Type: Grow tent kit
- Materials: Mylar
When you’re brand new to indoor gardening and want to test the waters, something affordable and compact like the Bloom Grow Complete Kit is key.
This smaller size kit comes with all parts needed to start growing including a 600D mylar tent, 300W LED light, four-inch fan, and more.
The tent measures 24 x 24 x 48 inches which gives you plenty o from to grow and it features a reflective mylar that keeps light in and prevents any from penetrating its way through.
- The cheapness of this tent and kit is what makes it such a popular choice. If you’ve never tried indoor gardening before or only require a basic setup, you can save hundreds choosing the Bloom Grow version.
- The included LED light is great for all stages of the growth cycle and can be adjusted as needed. As a full-spectrum light, it can replicate the natural sunlight, which means faster and healthier results for your plants.
- According to customers, the ease of setup was a huge bonus, as many people were beginners at indoor gardening. You’ll get detailed instructions and every part included so you can do it all yourself in minimal time.
- The quality of the tent itself leaves something to be desired, so you’ll have to be careful working in it. The 600D mylar could be stronger, but this is where the cheaper costs come into play, so it shouldn’t be a bother if you’re able to be gentle.
- Some of the extras that came with the grow tent weren’t required, because their quality was inferior compared to the rest of it. Customers didn’t think the shears were sharp enough to work and some even had issues with the timer, stating that it was useless after just a few months.
If you’re not ready to commit to something large and costly, the compact version of the Bloom Grow Complete Kit is a great choice.
This 24 x 24 x 48-inch tent has all the room you need and is priced exceptionally well at around $280 with free shipping, provided you shop on Amazon.
When you consider all that you get with this kit, it’s a value that can’t be beaten, and is the first step for many when beginning their passion for indoor gardening.
The Bloom Grow Complete Kit is a must-have for newcomers, even if some of the parts could stand to be of higher quality.
FAQs of Grow Tent Setups
Before you embark on a journey to find the best grow tent set up, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with this unique type of gardening system.
To help you do that, we’ve answered some commonly asked questions that beginners have about how the process works.
Although you don’t have to use a grow tent to grow plants and vegetables indoors, it can help with the process.
A grow tent enables you to control conditions so you can adjust lighting, temperature, and irrigation, as well as keeping pests and disease out, which may lead to more favorable growth.
A standard grow tent is not designed to be smell proof, so if the plants you’re growing inside of them have a discernable odor, it will likely be possible to smell it from the outside.
There are some grow tents designed to keep smells within, but you’ll have to shop accordingly as this feature is not always as effective as advertised.
Ventilation and filtration are two important elements that should be considered when installing a grow tent setup.
Without ventilation, the heat from the lighting will likely create a moisture which can build up and then turn into mold or other diseases that affect the health of plants.
While it is possible to leave a grow tent open, the main purpose of these gardening setups is to be able to control the conditions inside.
When the tent is open, you’re not in control of the temperature, lighting, or ventilation, which could ultimately affect the growth of the plants housed inside.
Taking the Chance Out of Gardening
Having your own grow tent at home can reduce a lot of the risks that come with regular gardening, including pests, bad weather, and disease.
If you’re ready to try the indoor style of gardening, you’ll need a complete setup, and any of our recommendations will be the best way to start.
The grow tent gardening style isn’t just about growing hemp and cannabis, as many misconstrue it, but an efficient way to grow everything from vegetables to flowers right inside the home.
If you want to take the chance out of gardening and guarantee results, investing in a grow tent is the ideal opportunity.