You might have green fingers.
Maybe your gardening prowess is the envy of all your friends.
But it’s simply a fact: you can’t have a beautiful, healthy garden without first having the best tools for gardening at your disposal.
Should you buy garden tool kits?
There are many garden tool sets available to purchase, and these can be economical because they prevent you from having to buy all the tools you need separately. It’s also much more convenient.
Once you have bought the set, you’ll have everything you need for the foreseeable future. With that in mind, let’s view five of the best gardening sets on the market.
Now that we’ve looked at the five best gardening sets, let’s take a closer look at their features in greater detail, outlining their features, pros, cons, and costs.
We’ll start with the best set on our list.
Table of Contents
Best Gardening Sets – Reviews & Buying Guide For 2021
Best Overall Winner: Vremi 9 Piece Garden Tools Set
If you’re looking for a quality gardening set, this the one to buy. It’s got some of the most important gardening tools you’ll need, whether you’re a beginner or more advanced gardener.
- Ergonomic tool handles
- Water spray bottle and universal gloves included
- Comes with a handy carry bag
- The tools you’ll get in this set include a spade, rake hoe, weeder, trowel shovel, pruning shears, protective gloves, cultivator, and a watering spray bottle.
- One of the best features about this set is that the bag that comes with it has separate compartments so you can easily organize your tools, making them readily available whenever you need them and preventing you from misplacing them in your shed or garage.
- The hand tools included in the pack are made with two strong materials: aluminum, that’s resistant to rust, and stainless steel. These materials ensure that the tools will last you a long time.
- The hand tools have rubber handles on them to prevent slippage when you’re busy with gardening tasks. This will make using them more comfortable to use, while preventing hand strain or injury.
- The bag that comes with the set has eight side pockets so that you’ll have lots of storage space for your tools. It’s also equipped with elastic loops to further keep all your tools in their respective places.
- You’ll notice that some of the tools, such as the weeder and pruners, have hangar holes in them. This is so that you can easily store them on the wall, such as in your shed, without a fuss! It’s always a good idea to store your gardening tools off the floor where they’re readily available when you need them and so that they won’t get damaged or pose a tripping risk to others.
- Some people who’ve purchased this gardening set have reported that the bag doesn’t stand upright on its own, even when the tools are inside it. You might have to put something else in it to provide it with enough weight so it can remain upright.
- Other people have reported that some of their tools didn’t withstand regular or intensive gardening use. If you’re looking for a gardening set of tools that will be strong enough to handle a lot of work, then maybe this one is best reserved for lighter use.
- The set really pays attention to detail. You’ll love that the watering spray bottle is free of bisphenol A (BPA), a potentially harmful chemical that’s been linked to negative health effects in adults and children.
- The spray bottle also has a manual pump to make it easier to water your garden daily.
- The cotton gardening gloves have a universal fit, so they’re perfect for people of all sizes and ages. They’re the perfect family set!
This gardening set by Vremi costs around $55. It’s currently on sale and its regular price is around $70. If you’re looking for a gardening set that includes all the essential items you need in one kit, this is a solid choice.
It’s not the cheapest one on the market, though, so it might not be suitable for you if you’re looking for a garden tool set that offers you the basic tools at a lower price. With that in mind, let’s move on to our next great product!
Runner Up: AOKIWO 40 PCS Garden Tools Set
In our previous review, we mentioned that the Vremi gardening set isn’t suitable for heavy-duty use. If that’s what you require, this set by Aokiwo is a must.
It’s also a bit cheaper. With that in mind, here’s what you need to know about this set of best quality garden tools that will enable you to get more done in your garden.
- 40 pieces in set
- Stainless steel and aluminum hand tool construction
- Claw gloves for digging
- You’ll get the following items in the set: a hand rake, cultivator, weeder, transplanter, trowel, pruner, plant rope butterfly garden stakes, garden seeder, tote organizer, and sprayer. You’ll also get a garden seeder and plant tags label. All in all, the set has 40 pieces!
- The hand tools are resistant to rust. They’re constructed out of stainless steel and aluminum to keep them strong and increase their lifespan. The use of aluminum is also good because it makes the tools light to carry.
- The hand tools have rubber handles for easier grip and they’re designed to be ergonomic so that you won’t get sore hands after a gardening session. This makes them some of the best garden hand tools you can find on the market.
- The storage caddy that’s included in this set has elastic loops to ensure your tools will remain in place. It also has eight side pockets for quick and easy storage.
- The gloves have claws on the fingertips so that you can dig in the soil much easier. What a fantastic and smart innovation! This is something that we’d love to see in other gardening gloves on the market.
- Some people who have purchased this gardening set have reported that the sprayer doesn’t work as well as it should.
- Other people have reported that the claws on the gloves sometimes come off quickly during use, which can prove frustrating. It would have been better if they were made to be more user-friendly, but hopefully the company will make changes to their design in future.
- The plant rope that’s included in this set is such a wonderful item to have. It can be used to secure your plants and flowers to supports such as stakes or trellises, preventing you from having to go to your local gardening shop to find one.
- Another fun piece in this set that you won’t find in many gardening sets on the market is the butterfly stakes. These are used to hide metal stakes that you’ve used in the garden with artificial butterflies! Once these stakes are set up, you can open or close the butterfly wings when displaying them in your garden to make it look like real butterflies are present.
While this set has some drawbacks as we mentioned earlier in this review, it costs around $30 so it’s really value for money. In addition to that, you get lovely and innovative items in this set that you won’t find in many others on the market.
If those are appealing to you, such as if you’re keen to turn your garden into a visually striking one, this set of the best garden tools is definitely worth it.
Alternative 1: GardenHOME Garden Tool Set
This GardenHome tool set might not seem like much, with just nine tools in it, but it’s got a lot of benefits. Let’s check them out in greater detail!
- Hand tools with plastic handles
- Gardening apron included
- Foldable bag
- Made from stainless steel, these gardening tools are strong and you won’t need to worry about them becoming rusty or breaking after using them a few times.
- The pruner blade remains sharp no matter how often or how much you use it, which is really convenient.
- The tools come in a foldable bag that can be used for plants or gardening tools. The fact that the bag is foldable is great for storage purposes, especially in tight spaces.
- The set comes with a gardener’s apron that’s got lots of pockets for extra storage while you’re working. It’s also waterproof so you don’t have to worry about ruining it when you work in the garden with the sprinklers on. This is a wonderful bonus item in the set that anyone who loves to garden regularly will appreciate.
- The hand tools don’t have rubber handles. This might put you off if you’re hoping to use them for lots of regular, intensive work.
- Instead of rubber, the hand tools have plastic handles. While this might not seem as durable or comfortable as rubber handles, the good news is that they do come with an anti-slip feature. This means you don’t have to worry about losing grip, getting sore hands, or suffering from blisters after a gardening session.
- The tote bag that comes included in the set is made from high-density 600 D Oxford fabric. This is durable with a long lifespan.
- The water sprayer has a nozzle that offers you different spray modes, such as stream spraying or mist creation. This makes it very versatile for a variety of your watering needs.
- So far in these reviews, we’ve seen that a pair of gardening gloves come standard in many gardening tool sets to protect your hands while you work, but the one included in this set is especially interesting. It’s made from elastic nylon. This helps to improve air circulation to your hands, making the gloves more comfortable to wear, especially on really hot days.
This gardening tool kit costs around $30, so it’s the most cost-effective item on our reviews list so far!
While it might not have everything you might need if you’re serious about gardening, it has some decent products that will increase your convenience and comfort.
Alternative 2: Sleek Garden 8-Piece Gardening Tool Set
This eight-piece gardening set by Sleek Garden lives up to the company’s name because it’s packed with interesting items to make gardening more comfortable and more of a joy than ever.
- Aluminum tools
- High-density foam kneeler
- Bamboo protective gloves
- The pruner included in this kit is of high quality, thanks to its patented spring movements and steel blades. You won’t have to put in a lot of effort when you prune if you use these!
- One of the best items in this tool set that we haven’t seen in other gardening sets in our reviews is the kneeler. This is basically a mat made out of high-density foam, that’s both light and durable, which you can kneel on to protect your knees while gardening. This is perfect for times when you have to bend down to tend to your flower beds, especially if you battle with bodily aches and pains.
- The hand tools come with rubber, slip-resistant handles so that you can feel comfortable while gardening and avoid hurting your hands. This is especially beneficial if you have a health condition such as arthritis.
- Some people who have purchased this gardening tool set have complained that the bag which is included in the set could have been a bit larger. That said, while there isn’t much information provided about the bag’s dimensions, other people who’ve purchased this kit have said that the bag is both convenient and sturdy, so you’ll have to form your own opinion of it. The bag also has some positive features which we’ll get to in the next section.
- Another drawback of this garden tool set that other people who’ve purchased it have reported on is that it’s suitable for smaller gardening tasks because it doesn’t contain items that are durable enough for more intensive ones.
- While the gardening gloves are a great addition to this set, some people have reported that they wear down a bit too quickly and they also feel very hot to wear. If you live in a hot climate, this is something to bear in mind!
- Although the gloves have been said to have some drawbacks, they do redeem themselves with their fantastic features. For starters, the gloves are made of bamboo, which is said to give you more protection against dirt and cuts. The gloves also have nitrile rubber grips on them to make them easier to use when holding different tools.
- The tote bag comes with pockets on the outside so you can store your tools and have them in easy reach whenever you need them. The bag also comes with an attachment handle so you can hang it up on the wall, such as in your shed, for even greater convenience.
This gardening tool set costs around $50. While it’s a little more expensive than some other kits you can find on the market, it’s definitely got valuable items in it that will improve the experience of your gardening tasks, such as the kneeler to make you feel more comfortable.
Alternative 3: Scuddles Garden Tool Set
One of the first things that’s sure to attract you when you see this gardening set is its pretty design! The tote bag in this set is beige in color with pockets that are designed in a colorful floral pattern. But it’s got more than just a nice appearance to offer you.
- Construction-grade gloves
- Machine-washable tote bag
- Tools have wooden handles
- This is an eight-piece gardening tool set that contains valuable items, such as a shovel, mini rake, and hand weeder.
- The tools are made to be resistant to rust. They’re also made out of stainless steel for greater durability. By now, you’re probably thinking, “But that’s nothing too special!” because we’ve seen this feature in other gardening sets. However, there are features that this gardening kit boasts which set it apart from other sets, so let’s get to them!
- The gloves are construction-grade quality, so you can use them for intensive gardening tasks without worry about ruining them very quickly.
- The cotton tote bag can be washed easily – just pop it into the washing machine! This makes looking after the bag very convenient.
- Instead of featuring rubber or plastic handles, the tool handles are made out of wood. They also have holes in them so you can hang them on the wall, such as in your garden shed, for easy storage.
- The tools that are included in this set are designed to help your gardening tasks become much easier than ever before. For example, the transplanting spade helps you to easily transplant small plants without damaging them. There’s also a trowel that comes with a measurement guide so that you can dig out the right depth for your plants.
- Some complaints from people who’ve purchased this gardening tool kit is that the gloves are not of the best quality. This is disappointing considering that they have been said to be construction-grade quality!
- Other people have said that the quality of some of the tools, such as the spade, is not up to standard. For example, they reported that the spade bent after being used once.
- While the kit is said to contain eight items, there are actually nine if you include the garden sprayer. It comes with a misting feature, which is a nice touch.
- The company’s customer service is exceptional, so if you encounter any problems when using this gardening tool set you’ll love their fast and attentive service.
- The attractive appearance of this gardening tool set is sure to make it a wonderful gift for gardening lovers in your social circle!
This gardening tool kit costs around $30. It’s currently on special (usual price is around $50). It’s a budget-friendly set of tools every gardener will need at some stage, whether they’re a beginner or more advanced gardener.
If you’re worried about the drawbacks outlined in this review, then it’s worth keeping this set for light garden use instead of regular, intensive gardening tasks.
Best Gardening Sets FAQ
Now that we’ve looked at the five best gardening sets on the market, let’s answer some common questions related to gardening tools so you can ensure you buy ones that are the best for your gardening needs while also ensuring you look after them so that they last you a long time.
After all, the quality of a gardening set that you purchase is only one part of what makes it durable (or not) – how you treat the tools can go a long way to increasing their lifespan!
What is the best material for garden tools?
As we’ve seen in this review of gardening sets, garden tools can come in a variety of materials, such as steel and aluminum.
In addition to the above, the material of garden tools handles also varies from one manufacturer to another – some tools will be made of plastic or rubber, while others will be made out of wood.
So, which materials are best for your garden tools to ensure that they are strong and durable, while also being comfortable to use?
When it comes to the handle of your tools, rubber can be good but make sure it’s ergonomically designed so that it won’t feel too tough or make your hands sore.
You can safely opt for plastic handles, too. Although these are sometimes frowned upon, there’s no reason for this to be the case, but there’s a catch: the rest of the tool needs to be of high quality, not just the plastic!
This will ensure an all-round satisfaction when using it. Extra features in the plastic, such as ergonomics, also go a long way to making the tool more durable and comfortable to use.
Wood handles are great, because wood is a natural shock absorber. Choose wood or rubber handles if you find that your hands get sore during gardening very quickly.
When choosing what material your best gardening hand tools should be made out of, you can’t go wrong if you opt for stainless steel.
This is a must for heavy-duty gardening tools that won’t let you down after basic tasks. Another common material that’s used in the construction of gardening tools is rust-resistant aluminum.
The benefit of aluminum is that it’s lighter, thus making it easier to hold and carry the tools.
It’s clear to see that different materials for gardening tools have their own pros and cons. It’s really up to you to choose the best one for your needs and preferences.
To help you make the right decision, also consider how much you’ll be using the tools. If you’re interested in regular and intensive gardening tasks, strong materials such as stainless steel are always a solid choice.
How to clean garden tools?
It’s not just the materials that your garden tools are made of that make them more durable, but also how you look after them!
While it’s tempting to pack your tools away after you’ve used them without giving them a quick clean, this is never a good idea.
You need to clean them and store them away properly to maintain their quality and prevent you from having to replace them in the near future. Here are some important tips to follow when cleaning your garden tools.
- After using your tools, hose them down with water to wash away sand and dirt. If the dirt’s caked on, you’ll need a putty knife to scrape it away.
- Removing sap can be tricky, but here’s a good tip from HGTV: put a bit of lighter fuel on a cloth and then wipe away the sap with it.
- You might not be able to clean in every nook and cranny of your tools, so you should fill a bucket with hot water and a bit of dish soap and then put your tools in there for a good soak for about 20 minutes.
- Once you’ve soaked them, rinse your tools in clean water and then use an old cloth or towel to dry them off. You need to be sure that you wipe them properly so that they’re completely dry as you don’t want rust to strike.
The above are basic cleaning tips and hacks for your garden tools, but there are some others that you might have to consider.
- How to clean rust – If you haven’t cleaned your garden tools for a while and they are showing signs of rust, use some steel wool to scrub off rusty areas.
- How to disinfect your tools – If you’ve used garden tools on plants that have fungal or bacterial issues, you need to disinfect your tools regularly so that you don’t spread these problems to healthy plants. An easy way to do this is to use disinfectant wipes on your tools. Alternatively, you could pop your tools into a bucket containing one-part chlorine bleach and nine parts water.
How to sharpen garden tools?
Every now and then, your garden tools will become dull and blunt. They need to be sharpened so that they’ll get the job done properly.
Just think of how a sharp set of pruners can make your pruning task so much easier because you won’t have to put in tons of effort or hurt your hands to make dull blades work. You also won’t cause distress to your plants!
How you sharpen your garden tools will vary depending on the type of tool you have. Here’s a rundown of easy and effective ways to sharpen various types of garden tools.
You can successfully sharpen your shears by using a mill file. Make sure you sharpen both the top and bottom of the shear’s edges and use a clamp so that you keep the shears steady while you sharpen them to make the process easier and prevent accidents.
While shovels with flat edges don’t need to be sharpened, if you have a shovel with a curved edge you will need to keep it sharp so that it can penetrate tough soil and plant roots with greater ease.
Sharpen your shovel with a large file. If this doesn’t work, such as because your shovel has been nicked quite badly, you should use a grinder to smooth and sharpen the shovel’s edges.
To sharpen your trowel, make use of a large file. But it’s always a good idea to have a variety of file sizes in your shed so that you can use them for various garden tools.
Small files are great for small garden shears, while larger ones will be best for sharpening lawnmower blades or similar items.
Pro tip: When you want to sharpen your garden tools, make sure that their blades are clean beforehand, such as if you’re using a file to sharpen them. This is important to remove rust which can dull the file’s teeth.
After you have cleaned up the tools, use a lubricant, such as WD-40, on them to prevent rust in future. Let’s look at how to remove rust from your garden tools in greater detail.
Removing rust from garden tools
Now, to remove rust from garden tools before you sharpen them, you will need to follow the above advice.
But what about removing rust from tools generally? How do you do that?
Here’s everything you need to know.
One of the easiest and most effective ways to rid your garden tools of rust is to soak your tools in a mixture of 50 percent water and 50 percent vinegar.
After they have been left to soak in this solution overnight, you can use a brush or steel wool to scrub off the rust.
Make sure you use circular motions when doing this until the rust has been removed. Then, finish off the process by rinsing the tool in a bit of soapy water.
Dry the tools very well with a cloth or towel to prevent rust from striking again when you’ve packed your tools away.
Now, what if the above tip didn’t work?
There are other homemade recipes you can try to remove stubborn rust. These include using cola in which to soak your tools and then rubbing the rust off with a wire brush.
Of course, this isn’t always practical. If you have many tools to clean, you’re going to need a lot of cola, which could seem wasteful and it’s going to make a sticky mess that might feel like too much trouble to have to deal with.
So, try this other recipe that makes use of lemon. The reason why lemon works so well to remove rust is that it’s a natural acid. You’ll first need to pour salt over the tools, then squeeze lemon juice onto them.
Make sure you rub the solution well. Leave the tools to soak in this mixture for a few hours, then use steel wool to scrub the tools. Rinse the tools and dry them well before storing them away.
Storage of garden tools
As we mentioned earlier, how you store your garden tools is just as important as cleaning them.
Here are the best ways in which you should store your garden tools so that they’re ready for when next you need them and so that you can maintain their quality.
The best place to store your garden tools is inside a structure, such as a garage or garden shed.
This will ensure that they stay protected against the elements, especially if you’re not going to be using them for a while.
If you can’t help but leave some garden tools outside, such as if you lack the storage space for them, make sure you cover them properly to prevent them from getting wet and to protect them from the sun’s harsh UV rays that can cause cracks in the tool handles to form.
One of the most important tips to follow when storing your garden tools is to ensure that the tools are in a cool and dry place.
This is because moisture is your tools’ number-one enemy – it causes them to rot and rust.
It’s a good idea to store your garden tools off the ground, such as on a DIY shelf in the garage, so that they can’t be damaged by someone stepping on them.
This also prevents the tools from becoming a danger to others. Invest in clips and brackets that will keep the tools secured onto the wall where you’ve put them.
As we’ve seen in our earlier garden set reviews, many garden tool sets come with carry bags included for storage.
These can be a great way to store your tools when they’re not in use, but only if you follow the above tips, such as by keeping them in dry, cool places.
We’ve already discussed the problem of rust striking your tools, but you can also store your tools in a specific way to prevent rust.
Here’s an interesting method you should try if your tools are susceptible to rust.
When you won’t be using your tools for a while, store them in a bucket of sand and vegetable oil.
This might sound strange, but it’s a good tip to follow if you can’t store your garden tools off the ground or they’re susceptible to rusting.
This will not only keep your tools free of rust, but the sand granules can help to keep your tools’ blades very sharp.
You should aim to put about half a gallon of vegetable oil into five gallons of sand for this to work.
Pro tip: Twice a year, take your garden tools that have wooden handles out of storage and treat the wood to maintain its quality.
Sand the handles with medium-grit sandpaper. This will remove any rough spots. Then, put linseed oil all over the handle to protect them before you put them back into storage.
If you want to take up gardening, you’ll need to get your hands on some of the most essential gardening tools, like pruners and spades.
These will make your gardening tasks so much easier and enjoyable.
But, it’s not always economical to purchase all of these items separately, which is why a gardening tool set can be a such a valuable purchase.
In this article, we’ve looked at five of the best gardening tools that you should consider buying if you want to make the experience of gardening a less stressful and more joyful one!
We’ve also answered important questions about garden tools and how to maintain them so that you can increase their lifespan and make the money you spent on purchasing them go the distance.